Work With Us
Grow the Winston way
Horticultural Specialist – Full-Time; Newton
This position reports to the Garden Design Operations Manager.
For three generations, Winston Flowers has been the premier boutique florist and garden retailer in the Boston. Today, our company has a worldwide online presence, two state-of-the-art design studios—60,000 square feet in Boston and 12,000 square feet in New York—and retail shops throughout the Greater Boston area and Greenwich, Connecticut, including a two-acre garden center in Chestnut Hill. From the beginning and still today, our mission has been to beautify and enliven both the indoor and outdoor environments where we live, work, and relax.
As part of this mission, Winston Flowers offers garden design and installation services, bringing residential and corporate spaces to life with our signature indoor and outdoor container gardens. We source high-quality European containers—many of which are exclusive to Winston Flowers—and our distinctive installations feature beautiful, long-lasting varieties of flowering and green plants inspired by the season and surroundings.
- Work independently and with other team members monitoring and performing maintenance and care of interior and exterior plantscapes at commercial and residential client sites; watering, dusting, pruning, deadheading, pest identification and treatment as necessary
- Keep timely and accurate client records, logging all plant maintenance activity daily, including plant material and container inventory, contact information, etc.
- Timely communication to Garden Design Management re: failing plants or plants requiring extra attention in subsequent visits
- Meet daily standards in all operations, including care of plant materials, supplies and company vehicles
- Participate in interior and exterior planting projects as business needs require
- Loading and unloading of trucks with plant material, tools and supplies
- Provide excellent service and resolve client questions and concerns in The Winston Way as needed
- Maintain Winston Flowers standards with professional presentation and service at all times, including while operating company vehicle
- 2+ years of experience in horticultural field, with strong knowledge of common indoor and outdoor Zone 5 plant material is required
- Must possess general knowledge of pesticides for common plant pests, as well as familiarity with in-ground and container irrigation systems
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively with high level of enthusiasm and self-motivation
- Formal education in Horticulture is a plus
- Flexible work schedule required including weekend and holiday availability; must be willing to work outside under all weather conditions
- Ability to lift and move product weighing up to 50 pounds
- Peak business periods will require extended work days and work weeks
- Valid and clean driver’s license required; company vehicle is provided
- Year-round position; flexibility to support interdepartmental business needs during Garden Design down times
Winston Flowers’ benefits are comprehensive and include competitive compensation, paid time off, medical and dental insurance, company-paid life and long term disability insurance, 401(k) and pre-tax reimbursement account, free on-site parking and a generous employee discount.
Fill out our online application below.